Thursday, February 12, 2015

Sunday, Feb. 8th, 2015
Drove to the Makutano  Branch today as it is the ward President Benjamin attends.
What a wonderful experience. Relief Society was first but there was only the RS president there and her teacher did not show up. The sisters came in slowly but the RS president gave me the manual and asked me to teach, so I taught the sisters. Then I went to Primary and the children sang a welcome song to me. I wish I could have recorded it. They are so beautiful. They were all dressed in their Sunday best. 
As I walked into Sacrament meeting two sisters in the choir were singing. Beautiful. I will try to attach the video I took as it was before Sacrament meeting.
Then we were asked to bear our testimonies by the Branch President so that was nice.
Afterwards we drove President Benjamin home to meet his family who had walked home. Well, again the road was unbelievable. I would never drive over it. Elder McBride was pretty stressed by the time we went to dinner. Elder Squires keeps telling hime he is doing great but the SUV is all scratched up!!
What a sweet family he has. Six children. We asked how long it takes him to bicycle to guard our place and he told us 2 1/2 hours each way. It is over these rocky roads, I do not know how he does it as it is dark. What a different way of living but you know, they are relaxed and happy and have so little. The funny thing is most of them have a cell phone!!! That really surprised me the first day as we were talking to this woman and her phone rang with a church song!!
The men are planning for a meeting tomorrow with the leaders and garden specialists.











Monday Feb. 9th.

Had a four hour training meeting today with the Leaders and garden specialists. Elder Squires did the training so we know what to do when we have to do it. Long meeting.
Afterwards James and Elder Squires met for an hour or so with the District Presidency and I chatted to three men and had an interesting conversation. Most speak English as it is taught in schools but it is difficult to understand a lot of the time so you really have to listen.


Tuesday Feb. 10th.

Just spent the most amazing day. Elder Squires and the Shakespears wanted us to experience African wildlife so arranged for us to spend the day at a Safari Park (only 1/2 hour from where we are staying). It is the Kilaguni Safari Park.  There is a lodge here so we are spending the night.
We checked in and spend the day driving around the “park” 21,000 kilometers-well not the whole park. We were looking for elephants and could not find any but did see Giraffes, lots of zebras, gazelles, and other animals similar to antelope, guinea hens and I cannot remember the others-but no elephants. We stopped at a place for lunch and I sat down, put my lunch and two apple bananas (that I love) on the bench. All of a sudden this monkey rushes over, snatches BOTH bananas and takes off!! Then others came so we had to get in the truck and eat our lunch there. It was funny. Walked down to the river and saw a few crocodiles and water buffalo. There was also blue fish swimming around. It was so peaceful and beautiful.

At the lodge they have two watering holes about 100 ft away from the verandah and we can also see these watering holes from our balcony.
We sat out there for awhile and watched lots of monkeys and gazelles. Then 3 big elephants came to drink. They are so beautiful to watch. I watched for ages, spellbound.
We watched the sun set behind Kilimangiaro. It is so high that the top is in the clouds but then the tip sticks out through the higher clouds.
The men were in the gift shop and found an African Nativity. I was happy that James told me about it and bought me one!! Not sure how I will get it home but I will!
We went down to dinner at 7:30 on the verandah overlooking the waterholes. during the two hours we were at the table-it was dark but they put lights on the watering holes-more elephants, zebras, giraffes, gazelles, monkeys, hyenas, storks and even a leopard came. Some stay away until others are finished and some drink together. We watched the leopard for awhile as it hid watching the giraffes-three adults and three babies. Then in the bushes we could hear this snorting noise. It was two antelope type animals warning the others of danger. Very interesting.
What a beautiful world this is.








Wednesday, Feb. 11th.

We are going back to Nairobi this morning. 
On the way the Shakespears wanted to stop at a member who is a wood carver. They had ordered  a Noah’s Ark with animals and some other items. I was excited to see his work. He has three men working for him and they were sitting in the shade under the trees carving the wood. They do such beautiful work. The ark and animals were amazing. 

Our assessments here are finished and the project has been very successful. I took a few videos of some of the members talking about its success and the difference it has made in their lives to be self sufficient. Headquarters wanted the videos but they are nice for us to have also. This is the end of the program for these people but there were six branches in this area that were not involved and now would like to be involved. We were to work with these branches to get the work started these next two weeks. 
We are in the apartment in Nairobi-a very busy city and the way they drive!! I would never drive here.
Good to be back in nice apartment. Not that the apartment was terrible that we were in at Chyulu but…..Three other couples and the missionaries live here. All the couples are from Utah.





















No comments:

Post a Comment